Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Philippines
simplicity...is..beauty...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

a new TAKOYAKI lover

 What kind of food is that? This was my immediate question the other day to Adrian,my officemate, when he had told me about this Japanese food. We went down to Robinson's Galleria  wherein a takuyaki stand is located. While on our way, it really gave me a mental aggravation to what and how does it look and taste like. When we arrived there, he suddenly chose the spicy one.After an instant observation to how does the food is served, I chose the sweet one with a chicken toppings.I saw him deliciously eating takoyaki while I was diagnosing its taste and - bang! Great! That's what I've said. I liked the taste.I had consumed the three pieces which cost me Php27. It's kinda more expensive than siomai but the taste is better. It is typically filled with diced or whole baby octopustempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion, brushed with takoyaki sauce and mayonnaise, and topped with dried chicken or pork. In short, I found it yummy. On that day,  failed to bring my phone so i wasn't able to take photos of it. The next day before I went to the office,I purposely dropped by the takoyaki stand and took one order out.I asked permission from the attendant that I would be taking pictures for my blog and write about it. They seemed to be unaware about blogging but they happily smiled and granted my request. I took two shots, the far right and the other one below. I arrived the office and ate it. I was able to share it with Pauline. She asked me about it and told her it's takoyaki. Bettina shared an info that it's an octopus. Thanks girl! During our dinner break, Gael and I went down to RG to buy some food for dinner. Down our way in an elevator, I thought of taking a photo with a takoyaki stand as background. Thanks to Gael's effort and understanding. It's at the far left of this page.Honestly, there are lots of customers who were at the line waiting for their takoyaki to be served. Finally, we headed to Jollibee and bought something to eat. The next time you drop by RG, try the takoyaki. Php 27 is worth of your burp!
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many variations to the takoyaki recipe.
Originally takoyaki used to be eaten without sauce or dip but in modern days it became common to eat it with a variety of sauces (takoyaki sauce, mayonnaise) and/or dips (e.g. ponzu i.e. soy sauce with dashi and citrus vinegar, goma-dare i.e. sesame-and-vinegar sauce or vinegared dashi).
It was first popularized in Osaka where a street vendor named Tomekichi Endo is credited with its invention in 1935.[1] Takoyaki was initially popular in Kansai but later spread to Kanto and other areas. Today, it is popular in many areas throughout Japan. Takoyaki can be purchased in many street food stalls (yatai) but today there are many well-established takoyaki specialty restaurants/eateries that are very popular. Osaka or the Kansai area is particular famous for it. It may be often sold in many commercial outlets, e.g. supermarkets or 24-hours shops. In addition, frozen takoyakis are even exported to many overseas countries.
Yaki is derived from "yaku(焼く?) which is one of the cooking methods in Japanese cuisine, meaning "to fry or grill", and can be found in the names of other Japanese cuisine items such asteppanyakiyakitoriteriyaki and sukiyaki. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki]

2 comments: